Sunday, May 22, 2011

Black Eyed Susan

Yesterday was the Preakness horse race and unfortunately Animal Kingdom did not win so that we could be on our way to a triple crown.  Something that has not been done in 30+ years.  The Black Eyed Susan is the flower that is used at the Preakness.  


My Black Eyed Susan(s) have just started to bloom.  They seem to spread by themselves because I have them everywhere in the area where I first scattered seed.  










There are so many bud and blooms in this one area.  These came up by themselves in a whiskey barrel where I also have a Jasmine vine planted but it doesn't seem to do very well. 


It's getting warm in Arizona and most blooms will be gone once we have consecutive days of 100 degree heat save for the Lantana, Pomegranates, Sunflowers, and probably some others the names of which I do not know.  


I'm linking to:
Cottage Flora Thursdays
Bloomin Tuesday
A Linky Garden Party









8 comments:

  1. Oh darn it! I missed the Kentucky Derby AND the Preakness this year. Haven't missed many in a very long time. Love the horse races. Your Black-eyed Susans are one of my favorite flowers. They make me smile. I planted a start last year and it's coming along nicely, but hasn't bloomed yet. We've been having so much rain here that I haven't gotten quite every thing planted yet. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot all about the Derby this year. I love watching the races and trying to guess who was going to win.

    The Blacked Eyed Susans are beautiful!
    I wonder if they will grow where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up this post at Cottage Flora Thursday's - i love love love Black Eyed Susans - but do yours spread like wildflower - i had them, but couldn't keep 'em under control!?! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Black eyed Susan's too! They are so cheerful! BUT I'm with you Tracie, they can be invasive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so surprised to see BES's blooming in May. For me (in N. Michigan),they don't bloom until mid August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had a fascination with these flowers since I first saw them as a kid. Of course, the fact that they had my name and my dark eyes made me think that they were named after me! LOL What pretty shots you captured!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love reading each and every comment. Have a great day.