Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Desert Is Blooming

In Arizona, U.S.A., this time of year everything seems to be in bloom. And, the allergies tend to bother a lot of residents.  But, it is beautiful for a little while and I was out and about today and took some pictures. 




This is a  Palo Verde that grows out in the wild.  It is basically a bush and not a tree as they are used in housing developments throughout the city.  They bloom this time of year and the bees love working them to make their honey. 




This is a mesquite growing in the wild.  As you can see, it is also a bush and not necessarily a tree.  These are used in housing developments in the city also though probably not this type.  The bees also like working this bush.  In the middle you see a darkness and that is mistletoe.  




This is another view of a Palo Verde and you can see the saguaros on the left.  There are three of them.  They will be blooming next.  


In some places the desert is very dry this year and isn't able to grow the grasses and legumes that it did last year when we had so much rain.  


Addendum:  
I tried getting a picture of the Greasewood yesterday but it didn't turn out so I ventured out today and I found this one.  













I'm linking to:
bloomin-tuesday
Outdoor Wednesday
wow-us-wednesdays
Cottage-Flora-Thursdays
Farmchicks Farm Photo Friday

20 comments:

  1. This must be the prettiest season for you folks. Great pictures, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. Everything is so pretty. We drove through the southwest a few years ago and it was my first look at the desert in person. I found it all very fascinating. I saw many trailers parked out in the middle of nowhere in the hot desert all alone. I wondered how they kept from baking in the hot sun as there didn't appear to be any electric running to them. Hubby thought they must have generators. But it still amazed me that without any shade they could live that way. Was he right about the generators?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos today Joani! I love the Palo Verdi, so pretty when it's blooming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a browse around and found the right post to comment on, no idea why I got taken to the old one, sorry about that. I love the lime greeen colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is saguaros? I'm not familiar with it. Those are interesting plants. Love the Palo Verdi. Hope your having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bright green of the tree against the sky is amazing! I love seeing desert blooms. The colors are so bright and sunny! Welcome to Bloomin' Tuesday! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos and I like to learn about new things and new places but the greasewood would probably make me sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joani....These shots are superb. It is such pleasure getting to see plants, bushes, flowers, and nature we do not see here on the East coast. You have gene me a wonderful insight into some of the beauties you get to enjoy our in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the photos so different from my area..

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are so pretty! Really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yesterday I was driving by a river wash in our area and all of the native plants were looking so georgous I wished I had my camera with me. Your photos are very lovely. Thanks for stopping by to visit me and leaving such a nice comment. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could have one of those trees in our yard. Right now all we have is wet weather. It rained alot this week and will rain all the weekend. Your horse pictures are delightful ( they are one of my favrite animals and my family loves them). Drop in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. .......
    La Vie Quotidienne......
    I keep a point & shoot camera in my car at all times. You just never know when you have a shot. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. .......
    Cheryl @ The Farmers Daughter.....
    In Dec, Jan, and Feb....there are snowbirds that park their rigs out in the desert....particularly on the west side of the state. They have a rock/mineral show and all those people gather....it's a very big thing.....Quartzsite is the name of the place.....they don't stay during the summer. That's why they are called snowbirds. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty tree.....thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's!!!! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  16. The beauty is astounding! Thanks for visiting my flora post!
    Love your horse header, btw!
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never been out west. I find it facinating. Beautiful Pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning colors! I bet Spring is most appreciated.
    Thanks so much for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh what stunning photos! i SO wish some color would come our way, we still have snow and frozen mud...ugh! ;0)
    i do believe your blog header is my ultimate favorite!! *love* :0)

    prairie xo
    kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love reading each and every comment. Have a great day.